Monday, November 7, 2011

The Sluffington Post, cycle 85

So, last night, we’re on Pidgin (an instant messenger program) hardly talking and Kevin sends me a link. I try to follow it but it’s a picture on Facebook that I can’t see because I’m not friends with whoever posted it. He tells me then to sign onto hisFacebook to see the picture. Must be pretty good, I think, if it's worth all this. I sign myself out, type in his email and password, and try the link again, expecting a funny picture of one of his buddies or something. To my dismay, when it loads, it’s a picture of two girls.

He tells me the one on the right (the pretty one) says hi to him “all the time” and that she’s “really nice” and that he just looked her up on Facebook to double check her name. He did this, he explains, to avoid any potential awkward moments in which she'd realize that he didn't know her name.

Seriously?! I silently fume, no angry words spewing from my fingertips. (I’ve been cold all day. He hasn’t noticed.)  I had just told him a few days before (with no ulterior motive, only because I felt it and I’m in the business of encouraging the man I love) that I greatly appreciate his loyalty and the way he makes me feel so safe. I told him then that I know he loves me and I know I’d never have any reason to worry about him being unfaithful, which I think is getting rarer in this day and age. My confidence in him was not only about physical faithfulness, but that he'd never even entertain the thought of another woman. How naive! Now he feels guilty for noticing this girl’s cute smile, perfect hair, and big boobs and he figures that showing her to me makes it okay—'cause at least he’s not keeping secrets.

>:-|

2 comments:

  1. Sending the picture is annoying and I'd be pretty irritated as well, and probably hurt. But I'd take some comfort in knowing that if he feels guilty enough to tell you if he thinks another girl is pretty, he'd feel too guilty to entertain anything else, and guilty enough to tell you about the bigger things.

    I had a distantly similar occurrence a couple of weeks ago. Except, there was no picture involved and instead of saying hi she said "I've never been more attracted to anyone in my life; can I straddle you?" Among other worse things that I'm not typing on a class-read blog post. (what a skank).

    but he did push her away. A faithful man is certainly a hard thing to find! And girls that don't respect other people's relationships arnt making it easier. but at least he was honest? guilt driven or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Skank indeeeed.
    And yes--we should both appreciate that our guys were willing to tell us about the small (relatively), near problems; we'll be able to trust them with the big stuff.

    And a heads up for you and whoever else may read this: anything titled "Sluffington Post" was written during my period when I know I'm more likely than not being less than rational. Haha.

    Now, looking back, I still feel slightly, minorly, hardly betrayed, but I also realize that he may not have even given her appearance a second thought. (He's not even into blonds.) But even so, even if he did send me that picture out of guilt, he was only trying to compensate for a natural--wrong--but natural reaction to an attractive girl.

    ReplyDelete